Q: Taurus - sudden loss of transmission

I was driving down the interstate and I stepped on the gas pedal to pass someone when my car acted like it locked up and started slowing down, so I pulled over, turned the car off, and gave it a minute and when I started the car backup and shifted it into gear it's like the car wouldn't register with what gear I shifted it into. It will shift fine, but the car won't go anywhere, all it does is slowly roll backwards, but yet when you hit the gas pedal it acts like it would as if it was in park and you was reving the engine. I've never had any transmission problem so it would be a shock if the transmission went out that quick.

A: Hello - the torque converter on your Taurus...

Hello - the torque converter on your Taurus has failed. The portion of the torque converter that drives the hydraulic pump in the transmission is a weak point, and has sheared off. This means there is no hydraulic pressure in the transmission to actuate gear selection, or anything else. The transmission will need to be diagnosed by a reputable transmission shop to confirm this diagnosis, replace the torque converter, and inspect the transmission for any other damage.