Q: Car will only reverse, and the key got stuck

I was in traffic and my car stopped. I thought I needed gas. Then while waiting for someone to bring gas my battery stopped even though my radio was still on. After I got gas and a jump my car wouldn't move forward it revved but wouldn't catch any speed. I'm able to reverse. I had to get my car towed home. During this episode my key got stuck in the ignition. Help please. Also I've had problems switching gears and would have to wait up to 30 mins for my car to shift out of park.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hello. It sounds like your ignition switch ...

Hello. It sounds like your ignition switch may have failed. This is a common problem with your type of car and most GM vehicles. I would typically use a voltage meter to test the switch. If the switch is not making good contact, the things you've described will usually happen, and it can affect the shifting of the transmission. This could also be the result of a voltage issue from a bad alternator, but that is not as common. To have these issues properly addressed, consider having as a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your no-start and poor shifting problems.