Q: Car will not start without being jump-started

The following have been replaced in my car: the alternator, battery, all the cable/connections, and the PCM (powertrain control module). However, my car will not start, so the mechanic had to re-inspect it. Every time I try to start my car, it is dead and just will not start. Then I have to find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor to help me jump-start it. After jump-starting it I let it run for a while so the battery will recharge. Whether the car has been off for hours or just a couple of seconds, as soon as I turn off the ignition, the car will not restart until it is jumped again. What is causing all of this and what can be done to solve this problem?

A: Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a...

Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a bad battery cable or a failing ignition switch. Both are common failures on this car and will cause these symptoms. I typically do a voltage drop test of the battery cables first. If they have too much internal resistance, then this will occur. If the cables are fine, then I test the ignition switch which will usually end up being the problem. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the starting issue for you.