Q: Car will not start without being jump-started

The following have been replaced in my car: the alternator, battery, all the cable/connections, and the PCM (powertrain control module). However, my car will not start, so the mechanic had to re-inspect it. Every time I try to start my car, it is dead and just will not start. Then I have to find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor to help me jump-start it. After jump-starting it I let it run for a while so the battery will recharge. Whether the car has been off for hours or just a couple of seconds, as soon as I turn off the ignition, the car will not restart until it is jumped again. What is causing all of this and what can be done to solve this problem?

Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a bad battery cable or a failing ignition switch. Both are common failures on this car and will cause these symptoms. I typically do a voltage drop test of the battery cables first. If they have too much internal resistance, then this will occur. If the cables are fine, then I test the ignition switch which will usually end up being the problem. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the starting issue for you.