Q: Car will not start even though all the dash functions display. The engine stated and ran until I had a mechanic clear its check en

My 2006 Pontiac GTP will neither crank or run. It had been displaying both a check engine light and a tamper lock icon but would start and run. But after I had a mechanic clear the dtc codes the car would not crank or start even though the dash displays worked. There is no juice going to the starter.

Hello. The most common cause of this suddenly happening like this is a bad ignition switch. This tends to fail on most GM vehicles and cause this same problem. I would start though by load testing the battery just to make sure it is fine and also check to see that the connections at the battery are clean and tight.

If those are fine, then I do a voltage drop test of the ignition switch to see if it is failing. Most of the time that is the problem. If it is fine, then the body control module needs to be checked with a scan tool to see why it was turning on the security system. If there is nothing showing in the BCM and this is happening then the BCM is bad. If you are planning on having this no start problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and let you know what needs repair.

• Car will not start even though all the dash functions display. The engine stated and ran until I had a mechanic clear its check en