Q: Car Will Not start.

My Car will not start. when i turn the key, it cranks but wont turn over. i had the starter tested, and it passed. We replaced the battery, we also replaced the wire going from the battery to the starter (it was very corroded), and we also replaced the ground wire which was also very corroded. Any time we do try to start it, the starter starts to smoke right where the wire connections are. Please Help, Thank you.

A: You need to make sure the engine is not loc...

You need to make sure the engine is not locked up. If the engine clicks but doesn’t turn after replacing everything you have, you may have engine mechanical issues - especially since the engine is at 343,000 miles.

The crankshaft pulley which drives your serpentine belt has a large bolt in the center of it. You should be able to turn the bolt clockwise with a larger ratchet and some force. If the engine does not spin while turning the crankshaft pulley, it is very likely that your engine is locked up and requires further inspection.

If the engine does spin, then I would recheck the routing of the power cables and ground connections for shorting or corrosion.

If you need help, I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s starting issue in person to determine what repairs can resolve your issue.