Q: Car will not start.

For weeks there had been a loud gas odor inside and outside the car, I was told it was a gas leak in the gas tank so I bought a used one and had it put on. A week or so later after putting gas the car would not start, I was then told it was a fuel pump issue. I bought a brand new one and when the mechanic came to fix it he stated it was not that it was due to the chip in the car key not working. Now I am being told the entire motor is locked and I am unsure as to how.

Hi there. Used parts always present the possibility of additional concerns, depending upon the condition. However, they also allow us to perform a repair at a discounted price of the part; always a plus in my book! Does the engine crank? Has the battery been tested? Have a battery test performed with a digital battery tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. Has the alternator been tested? A proper test performed on the alternator can determine if a weakened alternator has allowed a decrease in the battery voltage available to start the engine. If the battery and alternator are ok, then there could other underlying issues. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to properly assess the cause and avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car does not start inspection.

3. Car will not start.