Q: Car will not shift out of park

My battery charging system light is on and my car will not shift out of park I already changed alternator and battery could it be a fuse

A: The shifter not moving out of Park can be c...

The shifter not moving out of Park can be caused by a few different components. If the brake light switch is not sending the proper signal to the shifter interlock, then it will not release the shift mechanism. Also, the shifter interlock itself can be at fault, either out of adjustment or failed. Also, the shifter cable from the shift mechanism to the transmission shift linkage can be broken or stretched to the point that it does not align correctly.

Have a certified technician inspect the shifter interlock system to isolate the correct cause.