Q: Car will not go into gear 1999 BMW 318

Was going downhill while in 2nd gear and clutch pedal deeply pressed . Then i heard a loud bang and the car stalled . It will not go into any gear while the engine is running clutch pedal is also very hard but if iits not running it shifts nicely .i started the car while i. Gear and it moved forward .fluid pot is also full

Hi there - I suspect the clutch throw-out bearing, or the linkage to it, has failed. This prevents clutch disengagement while the engine is operating, and keeping you from engaging any gear. With the engine off, you would still be able to engage all gears. The clutch or failed linkage will need to be replaced to correct this problem I would recommend a clutch inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.