Q: Car will not fire

I have a 2000 ford contour. It will not fire, replaced plugs wires and cap. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail, but still nothing. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and nothing still. What could it be?

The engine spark is controlled by the engine computer and requires input from several sensors to run the engine. The vehicle may have one of several possible causes of the crank-no-start. The first thing to check is to see if there is spark getting to the spark plugs. If it has no spark then scan the computer for codes that may indicate an ignition failure like codes to the crankshaft or camshaft sensors. Either of these sensors can cause the no-start. Monitor the computer data to see if the crankshaft sensor is working when you crank the engine. If there is no crankshaft sensor signal then check electrical connection to the sensor for oil contamination causing wire covering short of the sensor. If the wiring is okay but the sensor still does not give a crankshaft input then you may need to replace the crankshaft sensor.

If you need further assistance in diagnosing this issue, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to help perform an inspection of your issues starting your vehicle.