Q: Car will not crank.

I have a 2001 s40. It was making a noisy ticking sound till this morning. When it abruptly stopped. But not before making one final loud tick. For fear of engine damage I turned car off. Let sit for like 15 minutes and now it won't crank. It has had trouble cranking for a couple of weeks now. And not sure exactly what could be causing it not to crank.

Inasmuch as your engine is an "interference engine" (i.e., no clearance for pistons and valves if the timing belt were to break), the first possibility that should be considered (before attempting to start the engine) is a break in the timing belt. If the timing belt breaks on an interference engine while the engine is running, it is possible that, at minimum, some valves will be bent. If you find that the timing belt is intact, and hasn’t slipped, the spark plugs should be removed and an attempt should be made to turn the engine over by hand, using the crankshaft pulley bolt, to see if the motor operates freely and is not seized. If everything checks out, a standard no start diagnostic would then be employed to get the car running. Based on your description, it would appear though that something may have broken and thus those first two steps will have to be carried out. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic - possible mechanical/timing issue and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car will not crank.