Q: Car will not accelerate quicking in drive; have to to put into 1st and go trough gears to make it go?

Car will not accelerate quickly from drive. I have to put in 1st or 2nd to make car go. After car reaches high speed I can shift into drive. What make my vehicle do this?

It sounds like you are having transmission problems, maybe some slipping going on or the unit is malfunctioning due to a low fluid level. Find the owners manual for the proper procedure to checking the transmission fluid level. Some vehicles must be running while performing the check. If the fluid is low, top it off with some compatible with your make and find the leak.

If the fluid is level is correct, but is dark and smells burnt, service may be required. Consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your acceleration issue firsthand. The mechanic will be able to inspect the linkage between the shifter handle and transmission assembly for any alignment problems.

3. Car will not accelerate quicking in drive; have to to put into 1st and go trough gears to make it go?