Q: Car went to 3rd gear while at red light

The car went into 3rd gear while at a red light. It wouldn't go any further than 3rd, even when I slapped it over to manual. Drove it home like that. When I finally got home, it didn't have much power and battery was swollen. I got new battery and replaced TCM. It will start and run but still defaults to 3rd gear and you can hold the pedal down and it'll only go like 10 mph, no power!?!?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help.

As you may know, your car has a "safe mode" feature that will limit the car to a certain speed (in your case, 3rd gear) when there is something else wrong, such as a transmission or battery problem as you've experienced. When this happens, after the problem is fixed and parts replaced, you will need to have the computer reset to clear the error. I'd recommend for the car to be taken to the Mazda dealer to have this done. Hope this helps and best of luck.