Q: Car waits a bit to start

When I turn the key, nothing happens for a second and then it starts. No clicking, I just turn the key it waits for a few seconds and then it starts.

In order for the starter to engage on this vehicle, the computer needs to disable the anti-theft system. Then the computer will signal the totally integrated power module (TIPM) to activate the starter relay, then the starter can begin to turn. The most common problem in this chain of activations is the TIPM. You may be able to have the module reprogrammed using a factory scanner. If that does not work then the TIPM would need to be replaced and programmed to work with your system.

A certified mobile mechanic can visit your home or office to inspect your vehicle’s starting issue, but it’s possible that you would need to go to a dealership to get the TIPM replaced.

3. Car waits a bit to start