Q: Q: Car turns off at stops

My car is turning off when stops are made.

Stalling usually indicates that the engine is not getting enough fuel, or that it is getting too much air. If this happens mostly at idle, I would suspect a vacuum leak, idle air control valve, or problems with the VANOS system. Cars such as yours are known for having problems with the VANOS system, which is BMW’s version of "variable valve timing."

Inside the adjustment mechanism, there is a set of seals that hold oil pressure, enabling the camshaft to change position. From the factory, these seals are made of an inferior material that does not stand up well to oil saturation and temperature fluctuation. When the seals begin to fail, the VANOS system is unable to operate properly and can lead to symptoms like the ones you are having. I suggest having a professional, such as one form YourMechanic, diagnose your vehicle’s stalling issue firsthand. After diagnosis, they will also be able to perform the necessary repairs to have this issue fixed.

3. Q: Car turns off at stops