Q: Car temp reading

my car, which i have just bought has a temp reading of 90 while driving, it can go up and down between 70 and 90 and get a little warm under driving wheel when it goes up to 90. Is this a problem? Have sometimes smelt a burning smell when it goes to 90

Assuming we are using Celsius, 70 degrees would be equal to 158 F and 90 C would be equal to 194 F. Most cars operate around these temperatures and this is considered a "normal" operating temperature assuming normal operating conditions. In fact, many cars will operate in a range of 195 F to 220 F. It sounds like your car may have an issue with getting up to the normal operating temperature. This can be caused by a thermostat that is stuck open allowing the coolant to flow through the engine constantly not allowing the engine to reach the correct temperature. The burning smell in your vehicle should be inspected to verify if it is a symptom of a more serious issue. A certified YourMechanic technician can help inspect your vehicle’s burning smell and diagnose this issue for you.