Q: Car stutters and makes noise as it accelerates.

Hello Steven: When I accelerate my 2009 Cadillac CTS it stutters a couple times, and makes a noise almost like a loud fan. This has been happening for a few weeks now; ever since I skidded on the on ramp of the freeway one rainy night. I do not know if there is a connection between the two.

Hi there. The loud noise that you are hearing could be either the engine speed is high or the radiator fan is coming on. The engine stumbling when accelerated could be caused by either a dirty fuel filter or a timing issue. Since you had to skid the vehicle in the rain, it is possible that water may have gotten on the ignition system. Also, the transmission could have broken a mount from skidding, depending on how fast the vehicle was moving before the tires were locked up. This will make the transmission move around during hard acceleration and cause the engine to shutter or shake. If you need further assistance with your engine stumbling when accelerating, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Car stutters and makes noise as it accelerates.