Q: Car stopped working and starting up - 2001 Mercedes Benz C240

The car stopped working even when I try to start the car with the key. We changed the fuel pump and it still does not want to work.

Recently the car was showing ESP signals on the dashboard which makes the car stop for a while whilst driving.

A: The C240, like all Mercedes built in this c...

The C240, like all Mercedes built in this century, is a very complicated car and is subject to a number of electronic failures.

The ESP on the warning light stands for Electronic Stability Control which exerts a certain amount of control on the brakes and steering to keep the car stable under extreme driving conditions. A problem in the ESP shouldn't normally cause the car to stop working, so I suspect you have multiple issues.

The best place to start on a late model Mercedes Benz is always a full system scan. An AutoZone or other OBD scan will not do the trick. It has to be scanned by equipment that is able to read all of the factory systems. The systems on the car are deeply interrelated and a failure in one controller can lead to issues in another. If you need help having this scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the starting issue and follow through with repairs.