Q: Car stopped

My car stopped all of a sudden while driving with a sound heard beneath! I tried to start it but it won't start anymore... And have a cylinder halfly filled on the engine dash-board... A cranking sound while trying to start it...

Hello. I will try to assist you. A car that "suddenly" stops operating with no sound is preferred to one that stops suddenly accompanied by an unusual "noise". The former cases are almost invariably due to a sudden fuel, ignition, or sensor malfunction and because your problem is not intermittent, it is usually easy to find on diagnosis.

A noise though could be a consequence of a sudden mechanical fault (i.e., something broke), however it could also be that you heard the engine sputtering or vibrate in an unusual manner when it came to a "halt".

The bottom line is that a fairly standard diagnostic routine has to be employed to get to the root issue. Regardless of where the car is (home versus office), YourMechanic can diagnose the starting issue and let you know what the repairs will entail. Hope we can get you back up and running.