Q: car starts sometimes and just shuts off

Had water pump and timing changed on it and ever since then it don't run right. It sounds like a diesel, a fish aquarium in my dashboard, and just shuts off while driving.

Hi there. Assuming, the engine ran fine prior to the repairs being performed, leads me to believe the crankshaft and camshaft were not properly aligned when the timing belt was installed. As this engine is identified as an interference engine, which means piston head to cylinder head valve contact can occur out of time, internal engine damage is possible. The aquarium sound in the dash, leads me to believe the cooling system has air trapped. Bleeding the air out of the cooling system can be difficult and a cooling system flush would resolve this issue. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine runs poorly and just shuts off be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. car starts sometimes and just shuts off