Q: Car starts fine, but won't shift into Drive

Today after my car started just fine, I shifted into Drive and then removed my foot from the brake and gently pressed on the gas pedal. The car didn’t budge. I tried all the other gears: neutral, reverse, lower gears - none of them worked. I returned to Drive and gently pressed on the accelerator - still nothing. I tried accelerating again and suddenly the car jolted into Drive. After that, everything seemed to be okay. It has been a long time since the transmission fluid was changed. Do you think that is what caused the shifting problem or something else?

Hello. The only transmission fluid related cause that would account for your symptom is low fluid level. Be wary though of adding too much fluid which can cause other problems as the fluid becomes entrained with air. If the fluid level is correct, and you don’t have a plugged transmission oil pan filter, you might have a faulty shift solenoid, valve body, or transmission electrical control problem. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting problem and guide you through repairs.