Q: Car starts extremely slowly

Recently I purchased a used car and of course I test drove it and it was starting just fine. The next day, it started extremely slowly. I don’t have to crank it multiple times, but it’s just Very s-l-o-w. (When I turn on the car, an electric motor sound starts, but it turned out to be a broken antenna.) Once it is finally started, it performs very well. A bit about the previous owner: when I purchased the car, I didn’t know that he was a car dealer, because we were at his house. The car had a very new battery (or at least it looks new). The voltage was good according to the gauges. Aside from that problem, my driver’s side window makes a ripping and tearing kind of noise when it rolls up. Also, it will only roll down ¼ of the way. What do you suggest I do to solve all these problems?

Hello! I will be happy to help you. I suspect that your starter maybe going bad or you have a loose ground connection somewhere. I suggest that you have a technician test your starter, alternator, and battery. One of those three components are likely at fault and are causing a slow start issue.

If neither of those components are found faulty it is likely that there is a loose ground wire present as I’ve stated previously. As far as the window making strange noises when it rolls up and only going 1/4 of the way down, that it is a sign of a faulty window regulator. Replacing the window regulator and motor should do the trick.

If you need assistance with these checks, enlist a certified mechanic who can diagnose your starting issue and the issue with your window. Once this is done, the problem will be evident and an accurate repair can be made.

3. Car starts extremely slowly