Q: Car starts and then stalls unless I press accelerator before stalling again.

The car starts, but stalls almost immediately. If I press the accelerator after starting, the car stays on. Once I take my foot off of the accelerator, the RPMs increase and decrease for a few seconds, and then the car stall again. A mechanic I spoke to suggested a vacuum leak.

The problem is either caused by the exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) sticking open or you have a bad vacuum leak. The vehicle may have a bad brake booster check valve or an intake vacuum leak that is causing the stall. Contact a qualified technician to check for vacuum leaks and to scan the computer for a possible EGR valve sticking.

• Car starts and then stalls unless I press accelerator before stalling again.