Q: Car starts and idles but does nothing when accelerater pedal is pushed.

Car has rough start then idles at around 500 rpm. I press accelerater pedal to the floor nothing happens. Restarted car several times with same result.

A: If the vehicle doesn’t move or even increas...

If the vehicle doesn’t move or even increase engine speed afer the user applies the throttle, there may be a problem with the system that communicates throttle input and actuates the motor on the throttle body to open the butterfly valve. The cause to this can be a throttle position sensor failure in either the pedal or on the throttle body. If the check engine light is illuminated, there may be a code stored that will shed some light on the subject. If the engine speed does increase and the vehicle does not move while in gear, the transmission may be slipping. If you’d like, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to inspect this issue with acceleration and suggest any necessary service or repairs.