Q: Car starting, but I can't drive it

My car starts, but I can't drive it. It also makes a terrible noise when I switch gears.

A: Hello, if the car is an automatic, it could...

Hello, if the car is an automatic, it could be that one of the gear assemblies is coming apart. If it is a manual transmission, and the noise is present when the clutch is depressed, the throw out bearing could be noisy, or there could be an issue with the clutch and pressure plate. If the noise is present with the clutch released, the input bearing could have an issue. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your starting issue and transmission noise so that the appropriate repairs can be made.