Q: Car started this morning, tried to jump it but still won't start

Car started this morning 4 hours later it wouldn't. Tried to jump it but didn't work. Car is making a winding noise but nothing else. Tow truck came to jump it also by wouldn't work

A: Hello. Thank you for writing in. The issues...

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The issues you are having with starting may stem from a couple different components. When you hear a click, winding, or slow crank it typically means the starter has failed, or is about to. If this is the case then the starter will need to be replaced. The starter solenoid can also go bad and may be replaced separately if it has failed. If the starter is not the issue, you may need to turn your attention to the ignition switch. This would involve removing part of the steering column and paneling in order to access the switch and change it. There are a few test you are going to need to do, but always start with testing the battery cables and ground connections first.