Q: Car stalls ocassionally

My car has been stalling out lately. It usually happens when I stop the car and it's idling. It happens occasionally. I had the fuel filter changed, which seems to have improved the way car runs but hasn't fixed the problem. What could be causing it to stall?

A: There are too many potential causes to list...

There are too many potential causes to list. An engine typically stalls out at idle when its not getting the proper air/fuel mixture or the idle speed is incorrect. Some possible causes include a faulty idle air control valve (IAC) and engine vacuum leaks. If the Check Engine Light is on, the first step is to check the stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnosis. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and solve this mystery for you.