Q: Car stalls when merging on the freeway.

Driving my vehicle for approximately 1 hour, merged on the freeway and car stalled and wouldn't start. Had it towed home. Next day it started fine and drove about 3 minutes and stalled again and wouldn't start. Changed camshaft position actuator, test drove car. Drove for about 3 minutes and died. Noticed every time it dies there is a giant puddle of oil underneath the engine. Does not leak until is stalls out. Oil seams to be coming from the oil pan gasket but I've never heard of a bad pan gasket causing a vehicle to stall. Is this possible? What else could it be?

Hello there. Quite often multiple symptoms will pop up that might be a possible cause of a mechanical defect or problem. I think this is the case here. If you are leaking oil (as you’ve stated, a lot of oil), then it’s possible that the ECU is detecting an oil pressure problem and triggering a fail-safe in which to protect the motor for damage. It is also possible that these oil leaking issues are not related to your starting and running issue. The best way to resolve this issue is to simplify the diagnosis process and have a professional mechanic complete a car starts then stalls inspection.

Check the level of the engine oil on the dipstick and see if it’s full and if it’s low you will need to top it off. Then look on the oil pan to see where the oil leak is located at. If the oil leak is on the front of the oil pan, then there could be an issue with the oil pump. The pump is located on the front of the crankshaft and driven by the crankshaft. If there is a leak present around the oil pump, then when the computer registers a loss of pressure, it will shut the engine down to prevent any bearing failures. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling and having an oil leak, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Car stalls when merging on the freeway.