Q: Car stalled out while driving, and can't get it to turn over - 1998 Ford Escort

Once it stalled out it would not start back up, It gets really close to starting sometimes it will start for a split second then die out. ( I have half a tank of gas ) First thing I tried was get a new fuel filter, after installing the filter it still did the same thing. So I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body while cranking and it would start then die once I stopped. Next I got a fuel pump and installed it, Same outcome. You can hear the pump and it does spit gas out when the key is turned. So thinking something was clogged I disconnected the fuel line going from the fuel filter to the fuel rail and primed the pump a few times and gas made it through to the pump, So I reconnected the fuel line and took out the fuel injectors and primed it a few more times and gas went through all of the injectors. I have not pressure tested or anything but i'm kind of stuck and am in no way a mechanic.. haha Any suggestions help thank you. Every person i've had look at it says it's a fuel problem

A: Hi there. Sometimes the best way to find a ...

Hi there. Sometimes the best way to find a problem with starting is to simplify the situation. It looks like you’ve checked all the major issues that help a motor start, but you might want to inspect the throttle body or the fuel injectors themselves, as they might be clogged, which can cause the motor not to start and continue to run.

This also might be a EGR valve or other fuel component that is dirty or damaged. Before you continue to chase more repairs or buy more parts, it might be better for you to contact one of YourMechanic’s professional mechanics, who can inspect your vehicle for the source of the starting problem.