Q: Car sputtering in park 2009 saturn vue

Put vehicle in park, and after exiting vehicle it sounded like a light sputter. The lights on the inside of the vehicle were slightly going dim and brighter as well. The Vehicle id due for an oil change, and was wondering if low oil lever could cause a sputtering like this, or if its another issue that should be looked at. Vehicle seems to be driving and accelerating fine, just makes the slight sputter when stopped.

Hello There, Your oil level should not have any impact on the car’s ability to idle correctly. The dimming of the interior lights may suggest a charging system problem such as a failing alternator or voltage regulator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs.

A rough idle may be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, low voltage to the fuel injectors, dirty fuel injectors, a vacuum leak, a faulty Oxygen sensor or a dirty or failing idle air control valve. Any of these possibilities relate to fuel delivery issues that will disrupt the normally balanced air/fuel mixture that would otherwise allow the motor to run smoothly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car sputtering in park 2009 saturn vue