Q: Car sputtered and all spark plugs failed

My car started sputtering when all six of the spark plugs equally failed. The fuel pressure is correct and I changed the spark plugs. However the car still does the same thing. For four months I have been charging the battery, hoping I can find some solutions for it. Can you make any suggestions as to what will fix my car?

A: Hi there, thank you for asking about your 1...

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 1983 Nissan 280ZX. First, let's go back to the basics: do you have a good spark while trying to start it? If not, check the coil, ignition module, and rotor/cap on the distributor. If you have a good spark and correct fuel pressure, check if the injectors are actually firing (i.e. spraying fuel). This is assuming there is evidence of good compression - the starter has to work to turn it over. These checks should guide you to a failing component. A professional mechanic from YourMechanic can check why your car's engine is sputtering and replace the ignition coil and distributor rotor/cap for you at your home or office.