Q: Car sounding weird after engine fire

I had a small engine fire under my hood and had to have my car towed to my house. After this happened, when I initially started my car, the car made a loud noise in the engine accompanied by a knocking sound. The car starts and the sound goes away when I place it in drive, but I can smell fumes.

A: I wouldn’t recommend driving the vehicle un...

I wouldn’t recommend driving the vehicle until you have the car checked by a professional. Engine fires can be caused for many different reasons, and leave damage to several components of the car. With all of these issues, I would recommend having a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out and inspect any damage that was left by the engine fire and diagnose the smell that is coming from your car.