Q: Car shutting off after 5 minutes of being started.

My car starts up very good but about 5 mins later my car will turn off. After that I start it back up and it is fine. Sometimes its does act like it wants to turn off again while I am driving. What can be wrong with it? Any suggestion Please and Thank you.

This may be a result of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.