Q: Car shuts off when going into drive

The blazer will start fine but when going into drive it shuts off and starts back up okay. It doesn't do it all the time just once and a while. Also when stopped at a red light the car starts shaking like it wants to shut off until you give it a little gas. The problem doesn't seem to happen while in park and it doesn't throw on the check engine light so I can't check codes. Any ideas?

Hey there. This may be related to a faulty or dirty idle air control valve. This is a unit that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, this may send an unbalanced load of fuel into the motor which is especially critical when putting the car into gear or when stopped at a light with your foot on the brake in gear.

This creates an additional load on the motor which causes the need for additional fuel. This may also be due to a vacuum leak or potentially low fuel pressure which may also cause a lean fuel condition causing the motor to starve for fuel. For more help, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling problem and move forward with any repairs that are needed.

3. Car shuts off when going into drive