Q: Car shuts off unless the gas pedal is applied

I went to the mechanic because the car keeps shutting off. I was told that when I release the key, only 12 volts is being discharged by the coil. I had the fuel lines and the gas tank flushed and cleaned. He overhauled the carburetor as well. The car keeps cranking on start up for a long time. This makes the battery drained. I'm able to start the car. However, it would shut off very soon afterwards unless I keep applying the gas pedal. The car would shut off if I'm at a traffic light, or slow down to make a turn as well as when changing gears. What could be the problem?

The coil should be generating tens of thousands of volts to the spark plug. 12 volts is the correct supply side to the coil. It also sounds like you still have a fuel problem. Have a professional mechanic check the basics: confirm good spark at the spark plugs (with both a cold engine and hot engine), check the carburetor for adequate fuel supply, and check the low-speed circuits in the carburetor for clogging. If you would like to get a second opinion on this, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can assess the stalling issue to have this issue resolved correctly.

3. Car shuts off unless the gas pedal is applied