Q: Car shuts off in park and reverse

Bought my car February this year with 96,000 miles on it. I figured it sat awhile so I did the normal maintenance on it. Drove it out a town a few times with no problem. I noticed it would shut off sometimes when I put it in park or reverse, no check engine light came on. Eventually my check engine light came on I ended up having to change my Idle air control valve, then the throttle position sensor. It's still shutting off in park or reverse, a little more frequently now, my check engine light isn't coming on so it's like a big mystery at this point

A: Hi there. The stalling issue only in park a...

Hi there. The stalling issue only in park and reverse seems unusual. This may be caused by an engine vacuum leak, resulting in unmetered air entering the engine. It may be, a dirty/worn throttle body and/or a faulty MAF (mass airflow) sensor incorrectly calculating the incoming air to the engine. Low fuel pressure, a faulty CKP (crankshaft position) sensor, or a faulty CMP (camshaft position) sensor are all possible causes for engine stalling. There are other possibilities and replacing components without proper diagnoses, can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. I recommend having your vehicle’s stalls in park and reverse be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.