Q: Q: Charging system failure.

I have a 1997 Buick skylark and I'm having problems keep it running right now my battery dead cause my alternator want stay charged it's not the alternator cause I got it tested.my car will start wen it gets a boost but wen I take the cables off the car go dead and it want say nothing...so I got a new battery and it started right up but after 15 or 20 mins it shut down again and wouldn't start back...I change the wire running frm the alternator cause it had corrosion. .but it still shuts down...when running I no when it's abt to shut down cause I see the radio lights get dimmed and everything just shuts down

This may suggest a failing voltage regulator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. Q: Charging system failure.