Q: Car shuts down when i fill up the gas tank

Every time i fill up my gas tank. My jeep patriots shuts down. Once i turn it back on i have to be pressing on the gas for about a minute and after that my jeep works fine.. i also have a check engine light

A: The most common problem is the vapor purge ...

The most common problem is the vapor purge valve leaking vapor from the gas tank to the engine when it should be closed. The Check Engine Light is most likely on for a fuel tank vapor leak code. You should have the vent valve checked and replaced if it is leaking. This should correct the problem you are having. If you want to have this verified, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your Check Engine Light and let you know exactly what needs to be repaired.