Q: Car shuts down - Cadillac DeVille

When driving, usually when I'm exiting the freeway on an off ramp with a slight curve, my cars oil light comes on and the steering wheel will barely move and the brakes barely work. Gas pedal doesn't work at all. I put it in park and turn it off then back on and it starts up fine. This has happened many times and only once would it not turn back on. Just filled up the oil the other day. What could this mean? Car is an old Cadillac deville.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, Oil Light comes on, steering wheel hard to turn, brakes barely work, gas pedal doesn’t work at all, your vehicle appears to be stalling as you exit the freeway. Not knowing the year makes it difficult to know what idle system controls your vehicle’s engine.

It could be the throttle body needs to be cleaned. It could also be a faulty idle air control valve causing the engine to stall when you let off the gas pedal. Going back further, it could be a faulty idle speed control stepper motor. Further yet, this may be related to a misadjusted carburetor. I recommend having your vehicle’s stalling issue diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Car shuts down - Cadillac DeVille