Q: Car shut off while in gear and car wouldn't move 2013 BMW M5

While I was driving my car, without warning and for a second it shut off. It totally died and my car was left in gear and there was no way I could move it. The only way that I know of to move it out of Park is if the car is running. All power steering was lost, along with the brakes and the ability to control the car. I was stuck in traffic for an hour, with no way to move my vehicle, and then it started. It stated that the battery was operating at a higher-than-normal discharge rate. When the engine died, it is So fortunate that I was not on a major road when I lost control due to the lack of steering and braking. This time was the 2nd time this problem has happened. During the first time, without warning the engine failed and my car veered into the oncoming lane of traffic. I am so blessed that there was not a vehicle in that lane at the time. Please tell me what will correct this very dangerous problem.

Hello. I have seen quite a few alternator issues on this car that will cause this. I have seen the alternators on this car charge extremely high or low and cause the voltage change to force the module to turn the vehicle off. This can also occur if the connection at the battery is loose or corroded. I always check the battery first and then test the alternator for charging. If there are any issues with this, then the alternator should be replaced first. If those are fine, then I scan the computer for codes to see if there are any faults in the computer. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue and pinpoint the repairs that are necessary.

3. Car shut off while in gear and car wouldn't move 2013 BMW M5