Q: Car says it overheated, but no steam comes out. The temp goes up and down on the monitor fan is working

My car monitor says it’s overheating, no steam comes out and the temp will read 245 degrees and 1 minute later it says 200 degrees, even faster if I turn on the heat. The fans are coming on, ive looked at them while parked. I sometimes smell a syrup smell, I assume that is the coolant. The first time this happened, I checked the coolant level and it was a little low so I added some, but it’s still doing the same thing. The coolant is still full from the first time I added it.

At 245 degrees F, you are still below the point at which you will see a boilover, steam, and a big mess, but you are unfortunately close. Two hundred forty five degrees F is way too hot and so you should have this promptly investigated and resolved before you ruin the engine. If the coolant level was low, you may have a leak. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition, and exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you quickly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car says it overheated, but no steam comes out. The temp goes up and down on the monitor fan is working