Q: Car says it overheated, but no steam comes out. The temp goes up and down on the monitor fan is working

My car monitor says it’s overheating, no steam comes out and the temp will read 245 degrees and 1 minute later it says 200 degrees, even faster if I turn on the heat. The fans are coming on, ive looked at them while parked. I sometimes smell a syrup smell, I assume that is the coolant. The first time this happened, I checked the coolant level and it was a little low so I added some, but it’s still doing the same thing. The coolant is still full from the first time I added it.

3. Car says it overheated, but no steam comes out. The temp goes up and down on the monitor fan is working