Q: Car runs fine, however the other day, I shut it off and went to start back up and it would not turn over or crank.

Never had a problem with the car before, but when I got back in the car to start it up, I got nothing, normally the gauges would show working when the ignition is turned ON, RPM gauge did not move. A friend said the same thing happened with his 350z and it was the crankshaft positioning sensor gone bad. The location of this sensor from what I've seen is very difficult to get to, so I want to make sure that's what it is before I go pulling the manifolds off, thank you!

When you say you’ve got nothing, it makes me think the engine is not turning at all. If that is the case, you are looking at a battery or charging system problem. I don’t recommend trying to jump the car, as that can cause all manner of other problems. If your car is cranking but not starting, that could indeed be a crank sensor. But it could also be a cam sensor, and air leak, a fuel pressure problem, or any number of other issues. You’re right not to want to jump right on the sensor. Simply replacing parts until the car is fixed can get expensive very quickly. In either scenario I recommend you do a proper diagnosis before buying any new parts If you contact YourMechanic they can send a technician to your home to properly diagnose your starting problem and advise you of what to do next.

• Car runs fine, however the other day, I shut it off and went to start back up and it would not turn over or crank.