Q: Car running hot

I got a new air filter, radiator, and thermostat installed. Now my Check Engine light is on, and the car seems to be running hot. Precision Tune says the problem could be the transmission.

A: Hi. Since your vehicle’s cooling system was...

Hi. Since your vehicle’s cooling system was recently serviced, I would start with checking for air pockets in the system. Air pockets are common when the cooling system is opened, like in a thermostat replacement. The air pocket can flow through the system and cause it to overheat by not allowing the coolant to get to the thermostat. Bleeding the system can be troublesome and air pockets difficult to detect even for experienced mechanics sometimes. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the overheating problem on your vehicle and suggest an appropriate repair.