Q: Car RPM fluctuates and doesn’t go over 2000 when it’s on the freeway, it ONLY happens when it’s been driven for a 10 to 20 minutes

Hello everyone, I was involved in a five car accident about a month ago which crushed the radiator and the trunk of my car, the engine was left intact. After I replaced the radiator and it’s fans the car worked just like it always had. Starting a week ago I was driving in the freeway and suddenly noticed that the RPM’s didn’t go over 2000, and if I tried to force it it’ll just fluctuate at that number, I’ll have to note that the car doesn’t die if I let go of the pedal. When this happens I just stop on the side of the road and restart the car, this seems to fix it. I took it to AutoZone for them to check the engine light and go the following error codes. P0171 – Fuel System Lean (Bank 1) P0131 – O2 Sensor 1/1 Voltage low P0340 – No Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Failure P2097 – Downstream Fuel System ½ Rich P0457 – Loose Fuel Cap Condition: P0456 – EVAP System Small Leak Detected

The symptoms you are having sound similar to those of a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft postion sensor failure. However, considering that the vehicle was in an accident, there may be other issues as well. I would recommend a check engine light is on inspection. This will help to determine the meaning of all the codes you have stored in your vehicle’s pcm. If the camshaft or crankshaft position sensors have failed, replacing them will likely resolve the issue. Consider YourMechanic for these services as they can be completed at your home or office.

3. Car RPM fluctuates and doesn’t go over 2000 when it’s on the freeway, it ONLY happens when it’s been driven for a 10 to 20 minutes