Q: Car quivering around 30 MPH

My car will not go into reverse unless it is on an incline. It also quivers a little when going over 30 MPH.

A: Hi, a non shifting transmission usually poi...

Hi, a non shifting transmission usually points to internal damage which can be costly to repair. Automatic transmissions have multiple sets of clutches inside that select the gears while driving the vehicle. If the transmission is not well taken care of, over time these clutches wear out and lose their ability to grip. The fluid inside the transmission ages as well and can cause issues with gear selection if not replaced at the correct intervals. Do you notice any abnormal roughness in the shifts as you are driving normally? The car quivering could be related to the transmission issue, but usually has something to do with the wheels. The brake rotors could be warped or the wheels out of balance, both of which would cause a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. Warped rotors would also cause vibrations in the brake pedal, mainly when slowing the car down. Have a certified technician inspect the transmission fluid to help diagnose the issue further. The technician would be able to do a driving test to narrow down what’s causing the quivering.