Q: Car owner is told squeaky brakes are normal

When I told the dealership that my brakes have a very loud squeak when I step on the brake pedal, I was told that was normal. Then when I took my car in because the HomeLink® wireless control system is short in range, I was again told that is normal. I also explained that the backup sensors’ on/off switch doesn’t work and when I’m in Reverse, it makes a beeping sound. Yet again they said this problem is normal too. Then I proceeded to try to get help with my backup camera. It is blurry and even worse at night, which can be very unsafe. He said that he had tested four other make/models like my car and that all of them are the same. Do you agree with them about their analysis of my car’s problems and are there any solutions to these problems?

A: Hi there. Many times they say that these th...

Hi there. Many times they say that these things are normal because they do not have a good fix for them. The brake noise problem occurs because the brakes get too hot on this vehicle and they glaze over.

I have found that using aftermarket premium brake parts are the only way to prevent brake noises on this vehicle. As for the other issues, reprogramming the navigation module will usually help in getting the screen to come up every time. With the camera being blurry, this is because of the poor design of the camera that was used. If the dealer is not helping you with this you should contact Acura's national customer service to get them involved as they will usually have other solutions for you. If you would rather have an independent mechanic take a look at the car, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the brake noise and help you get this taken care of.