Q: Car overheats smoke from windshield area - 1991 Toyota Cressida

Lately, the car has been overheating. This happens sporadically. I would sometimes drive it with no issues and other times I would see smoke coming from under the hood. To be more precise, the smoke comes from the windshield area. There was a minor leak from the radiator. I had the radiator and the radiator cap replaced with new parts. The hoses look fine. What else can I check and repair?

Smoke at the windshield area often signals an issue at the inlet/outlet of the heater core. The system needs to be visually inspected for leaks and a cooling system pressure test conducted. If smoke is visible at times this indicates a leak and coolant level should be checked. Please Note: never attempt to open a cooling system when the engine is hot or the system is pressurized as serious injury can occur. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair the cooling system, fill and bleed the system properly, and conduct a pressure test after repairs to ensure the integrity of the system.