Q: Car overheats after 25 minutes

My car starts to overheat when sitting for more than 25 minutes. I may need to replace the thermostat.

Hello! A stuck closed thermostat will cause a vehicle to overheat in about that time. A coolant leak, bad fan operation, or a leaking head gasket will produce similar overheating conditions. I suggest having the coolant system inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. When inspecting the system have them check for leaks, fan operation, thermostat operation and also test the head gasket.

It is likely that the thermostat is causing the car to overheat. If this is found to be the case, I would recommend having your thermostat replaced. However, it is also likely that the fans are not functioning properly since the fans are designed to turn on after about 25 minutes of running to keep the vehicle from overheating. If the fans don’t turn on the vehicle will overheat.