Q: Car overheating

Car overheating, recently changed water pump but still overhearting. What could be the problem? How much could it cost to get this fixed?

There are a few possibilities of what may be causing your overheating issue. Since you just replaced the water pump, it is possible that the cooling system may need to have some air bled out of it. When servicing the cooling system there is often a special procedure to fill the coolant. If the procedure is not followed, air pockets can be in the coupling system and prevent the coolant from circulating properly which would cause the car to overheat.

Next it is possible that your thermostat may be stuck. The thermostat regulates the coolant temperature. If it sticks closed the car will overheat. If it sticks open then the engine will not get warm enough.

After these problems the next possibility is that there may be a problem with the cooling fans. If they do not operate the car will overheat when idling and stationary.

If you need further assistance you can schedule an appointment with a professional mechanic who can come to you and perform the diagnosis of your overheating problem.

3. Car overheating