Q: Car overheating after part broke

The plastic part under the radiator cap busted open and now the car is overheating. The hoses and radiator cap are still connected and seem to be fine.

Hello, I’m not sure about what plastic part you are referring to. Though, if it’s overheating, that should be diagnosed and repaired soon than later to avoid further engine damage. If there is coolant coming out of what broke on the radiator, then there is a good chance that the radiator will have to be replaced. If there is no leak, and the engine is overheating, there can be many causes for this like a stuck thermostat, an inoperative cooling fan, or blown head gasket. You may need the aid of mechanic to monitor the engine as it warms up to determine why the car is overheating and perform the necessary repairs.