Q: Car overheated - 1972 Pontiac Ventura

I have a high-mileage car and I think the head gasket might be blown. I had it replaced once already. Several days ago, I went on a longer road trip and the car started to overheat. I added water and let the car sit for a while to cool down. I found water in the cylinder when I got home. What might be the issue?

A: Hello there, head gaskets are one of the co...

Hello there, head gaskets are one of the common fail points on older vehicles with higher miles such as your 1972 Pontiac Ventura. If replacing the head gasket did not fix the issue, then it is likely that the head gaskets are warped or cracked. This can occur when the engine is overheated and may not be apparent until the engine gets warm again. If you’d like help with this, consider having a qualified automotive technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect and diagnose this overheating issue and determine why the cylinders are still filling up with water.